Saturday, August 21, 2010


An unusual Greenland kayak bow end.

Inside a Greenland wooden frame, looking forward.

An Inuit seal hunter, taken from an expedition company brochure.

Vintage ad for a ham radio.

Vintage post card art.

Skin on frame Greenland kayak, offered in a Wooden Boat School ad.


Exactly where are Greenland and Svalbard?

Greenland skin on frame kayaks before and after skinning.

A modern Greenland Inuit paddler.

A couple in the north of Sweden runs kayak tours out of their hostel on the water.

Setting up for a Greenland roll.

Kayak ballet, note the formation.

A kayak motor?!

Facing and bracing the wave.

Punching through the wave, or rolling in surf?

Okay. THAT'S a bit of surfing...holy shit, Batman!

A Scotsman in the 50's in his hand made Greenland kayak.

Surfing in Australia.

Guess this guy selling his Pygmy Coho wanted to remain anonymous.

He sold it in 2007.

Love this graphic from a kayak shop on Lake Superior.


I think I've just found my new chandelier.


Handmade and sold on eBay a while back.

Sacred Circle at Traditional Arctic Kayak Symposium, Trinidad, CA, 2009


Skin on frame kayaks at TAKS 2009


These photos were found with a search generated by Google Images.
I simply typed in vintage kayak photo images and voila!

2 comments:

  1. Louise,
    nice collection of images.
    In your closing statement: "I simply typed in vintage kayak photos images and voila!" makes me assume that you did not seek permission to publish those images.
    I like your enthusiasm however may I remind you that what you are doing is probably not OK, if you don't have permission.
    The authors of those images can seek legal action against you for copyright breech,
    More details here http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2010/09/copyright-infringment-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise,

    Could you provide me with more details of the image file called: 'mini-Greenland_kayak_postcard_drawing'? I wouldn't mind having that picture up on a wall, but I cannot find it anywhere. Any details as to the source of the file, or the source of the postcard itself? Thanks in advance! Kaia@live.nl

    ReplyDelete